Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

An international student may be eligible to request CPT Work Authorization after he/she has completed 2 consecutive semesters or one academic year in a skills-based major. The international student must maintain a 2.0 GPA, be a full-time student, and have completed 50% of the required Program Core Courses in the AAS degree or 12 credits of a certificate program. He/she must also be enrolled in the internship course associated with the program for the semester of CPT.

To request CPT Work Authorization:

  • Go to the ISO to request Part 1 of the CPT form. Read the instructions, fill it out the form and return it to the ISO. The ISO will notify the student if he/she is eligible to do CPT.

  • If the student is eligible, he/she can pick up Part 2 of the CPT form, fill in all required information and get all required signatures.

  • Enroll in the required internship course for the program.  The international student cannot participate in CPT unless he/she is enrolled in the required internship course for his/her program.

  • Return Part 2 of the CPT Form to the ISO.

  • Receive a new I-20 showing CPT authorization. An international student may not begin working until the above process has been completed and a new I-20 with work authorization has been issued.

  • International students cannot do CPT for longer than one year.  CPT must be in consecutive semesters.

  • While on CPT, the international student can only work part time (20 hours or less per week) unless the international student is on his/her vacation semester.

CPT is not a means to gain permanent off-campus employment. It is temporary employment authorization to gain practical training within the student’s course of study.

Effective since