Frequently Asked Questions

Do I have to be admitted to the College to apply for Financial Aid?

  • You may submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at any time. However, the Financial Aid Office will not review the application or determine financial aid eligibility until after you have been admitted to the College. Financial aid students must declare a major to qualify for federal student aid.

I have now been admitted to the College. What is the next step?

  • After you have been admitted and have submitted your FAFSA you will receive email notifications from us regarding your financial aid. These notifications will direct you to check your financial aid status at MyBC online in your Student Center. Financial aid eligibility will not be determined until all items listed in the Student Center under the To Do List have been submitted and reviewed. It is important that you check your Student Center frequently and submit requested forms and documents as quickly as possible.

Can I email or call the College to check my financial aid status?

  • We strongly encourage you to first check your status online in your MyBC account in the Student Center. You may request limited information regarding your financial aid through email or over the phone.
  • You are always welcome to e-mail the financial aid officeThis email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. To protect your privacy, we use the online FERPA form to verify your identity. Please refer to this additional information about FERPA. If you include your FERPA password in your e-mail, we will be able to give you specific information about your financial aid status.

You are requesting copies of taxes and W-2's. Why do I need to provide this information?

  • You have been selected for verification. Typically about a third of our financial aid students are required to submit verification documents. Most of the students selected for verification are selected by the Department of Education when the FAFSA is processed. The taxes and W-2's will be reviewed by our office to verify the information provided on your FAFSA is correct. We will correct the FAFSA for you if any differences are found. Your financial aid eligibility will not be determined until after this is submitted and reviewed by the Financial Aid Office.

Why do I have to provide my parents tax and income information? I provide for myself and they are not assisting me with my schooling.

  • On your FAFSA you will be asked several questions to determine your dependency status. To view these questions go to the FASFA site, and select "Getting Started", and then "Will I need my parents' information?" If you cannot answer "Yes" to at least one of the questions listed you are considered to be dependent for financial aid purposes. This means that you will be required to provide your parents tax and income information, even if you live on your own and are paying for your own schooling. Students who cannot provide parent information due to extreme circumstances should contact the Financial Aid Office.

How and when will I receive my check?

  • Your financial aid (both grants and/or loans) will first be disbursed to your tuition account to pay your bill with the College. Any remaining funds will be made available to you in the form of a check. You will receive an email notification from the Cashier’s Office when your check is ready to be picked up.
  • Students who apply early and submit paperwork promptly may have funds disbursed to their tuition account up to 10 days prior to the semester start date.

I am not getting as much as I received last year. Why is it different?

  • There may be several factors affecting your eligibility. Your financial aid eligibility is recalculated each year when you complete a new FAFSA. Your personal circumstances may have changed (income, family size, etc), the calculation used to determine your eligibility may be different, or the aid available may have changed.
  • Congress often reviews and modifies financial aid rules and award amounts. Normally changes made to the financial aid program in Washington are not made mid-year, but occasionally this does occur. Affected students in these cases will be notified via email.

What do I do to make sure my financial aid pays my tuition?

  • Complete your FAFSA as early as possible and submit requested forms and documents promptly. If accepting a loan, be sure to complete the Entrance Counseling and Master Promissory Note (MPN) online at
  • Check your tuition bill online before tuition deadline to verify your aid was disbursed to pay your bill with the College.

How do I make sure I don’t lose my financial aid?

  • Attend all your classes the entire semester. If you must withdraw, check with the Financial Aid Office first.
  • Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress. You must maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.0, complete at least 67% of all credits attempted, and complete your degree within 150% of the required credits for your degree. For more information, visit the Academic Progress page on our website.

Can I update my marital status after I complete the FAFSA?

Why was my grant reduced from what was on my award letter?

  • Grant amounts calculated before the semester begins are based on full-time status. The grant is then prorated for students who are not attending full time.

I am not a U.S. citizen. Can I apply for federal financial aid?

  • If you are an international student attending college on a student visa, you do not qualify for financial aid. If you are a non-citizen student please visit the Student Eligibility page to determine if you qualify to apply for financial aid.

How do I apply for scholarships?

  • You can checkout the information on the scholarships the college has to offer. You may use to search for other scholarships. FastWeb is a scholarship search engine. All applications should be free. Never pay to apply for financial aid or scholarships.